Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Weekend in Dublin

This past weekend (March 8-10), the Mercyhurst students and faculty traveled to Dublin! It was a super busy weekend and such a unique experience! The city itself is unlike any other city I have been to before...

The first day, we were given a tour of the Leinster House where we were able to see the Dail Chamber (The House of Representatives) and the Seanad (Senate). It was so cool to learn about the national Parliament of Ireland and see where it all takes place. The House also had the original flag of the 69th Infantry Regiment, or Irish Brigade, which was given by John F. Kennedy (thanks Danny for teaching me about this before I went, then tour guide thought I was smart when I answered all his questions!)
This tour was followed by a look at the National Museum of Ireland as well as the National Library of Ireland.

National Museum of Ireland
The Leinster House
Dail Chamber

That night, the students met at a pub called O'Shea's for some amazing dinner and then a few of us continued to Fitzgerald's Pub. There, I somehow had the the guts to sing karaoke in front of everyone! I can never listen to the song "Brown Eyed Girl" the same way again! (Embarrassing videos will NOT be uploaded) :)



Christ Church Cathedral
Saturday, we began the day with a 3 hour walking tour (in the freezing rain!) We were able to visit Trinity
College, the Dublin Castle, Christ Church Cathedral, the statue of Daniel O'Connell, and the Garden of Remembrance. Although it was so cold out, it was great to really get a feel for Dublin. I absolutely love how much culture the city has! It seems as though every building has some important history to it.
I'd also like to add that our tour guide looked legitimately like a leprechaun....


Dublin Castle

Trinity College


Saturday night in Dublin was definitely a night to remember. We signed up with our hostel, Jacob's Inn, to participate in a pub crawl in Temple Bar! They took us to a number of different places to get a feel for the night life in Dublin. By far, my favorite place was a pub called Peadar Kearney's. They had a live band playing Irish music, some of which I knew! I felt that was the best way to really experience the pub culture in Ireland's greatest city!

2 comments: