Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

County Mayo: The 'Real Ireland'

I am so grateful that my family was able to come visit me in Ireland this week! On Saturday, (March 23) we drove from Dublin to County Mayo to see the village where my Grandpa grew up. He was only 12 when he ventured on the first boat after WWII to come to America to find his parents who were already living in the states. Since then, my Grandpa has been back to his town Stonepark only a few times.

Just like it's name suggests, Stonepark is a land full of stones. In order to farm, the people had to first dig up most of the rocks. With this excess supply, stone walls were created everywhere. It was the main material in the construction of the homes as well as used to mark off land territories. The view of green covered hills with large stone walls flowing up and down them created a picture-perfect site. For the first time in my 4 weeks here, I saw the "Real Ireland." The west was filled with these rolling hills as well as narrow, winding roads, and sheep everywhere!

We first drove through the small town which his village overlooked. Each Friday, my Grandpa would walk 3 miles to the town to buy groceries with his Grandmother. He noted that there was a bus, however it cost 1 cent, so they chose to walk instead. We also drove past the bogs, a wetland area where the children of the village would go to dig up peat in order to heat the house.

After the town, we drove up a massive hill to the village of Stonepark. I was shocked to see how much my Grandpa remembered. He pointed out which family lived in each of the small, stone homes. What made the trip even better, was how some of my Grandpa's friends and relatives still live there! We visited four old friends, including two of his cousins. They were all extremely friendly and welcomed us into their homes (all four of them showed the Irish hospitality by offering us tea!).
Overhearing a conversation between my Grandpa and a school friend, I felt as though I was watching a sitcom. It was just like a scene from the movie we watch in class "Waking Ned Devine." The two of them carried on about old friends and the memories they had growing up. They filled me in on a few embarrassing moment like when my Grandpa fell off a stone wall during school into the mud and was sent home! Also, when he was reciting the times tables and farted in front of the class. *Sorry to post that Grandpa, but it was hilarious :)

But the day didn't end there! Next, we met more of his cousins who showed us the Cemetery where my Great-Great-Grandparents are buried. We then continued onto the Church which my Grandpa went to for 12 years and where he was Baptized. We all said a prayer and lit a candle.

This incredible day ended with a beautiful dinner at a restaurant which overlooked a local lake. The people I met and the places I saw that day will by far be my favorite memory of Ireland!! The tourist spots are great, but nothing compares to the village where my family comes from, and the reason why I am an Irish citizen!

[ Pictures will be added to a separate post ]

Thank you so much Grandpa for giving us a personal tour of Mayo :)




No comments:

Post a Comment