Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Poor is the Man That is Without Music

It took me awhile, but after 6 weeks of living here I finally saw some live traditional Irish music!!

Every Sunday evening, the Park Place Hotel has an Irish band play in their pub. I went with my friends this week to get some dinner and enjoy the music. I am still amazed by how upbeat and fun this music was! Many of the bands here have no set songs or practices, they simply improvise when they are live. I honestly wish we had more bands like this back home! I am in love with Irish music, and it reminded me of all my family parties where we either play Irish CDs or my cousins would get out their instruments! If only I was somewhat musically talented....

Tuesday night was another memorable evening of Irish music. The students were invited to "The Local" pub to see a different live band. This one had very traditional instruments including a violin, banjo, Irish flute, guitars and a keyboard. The talent this band had is beyond words. We all sat in the pub in complete awe watching the violinist! I have never seen anything like that! The band was great, but it was the atmosphere that added so much more to the experience. The audience was clapping along and "whoohoooo-ing" to all of the fast-paced music



No comments:

Post a Comment